New to Yoga?
Welcome to Yoga Jo’s!
Lets just start of by saying that despite what you may have been led to believe Yoga is NOT about the fancy poses. Yoga is a state of being which can be described as residing in a steady comfortable space, a place of mental and physical balance and stability. A yoga class consists of physical postures, breathing, meditation and mindfulness practices which are vehicles to help you arrive in this place of stability. It is available to anyone and everyone and we specialise in making yoga as accessible to everyone as we can. Below we we have listed some information to help you navigate your first visit to the studio and decide which beginners sessions to book and which classes you would like to explore when you are ready to move on from beginners. Please take the time to read through to the end. Please don’t hesitate to get in touch if you have any questions we haven’t answered.
If you are new to yoga and would like to practice with us your starting point is to come along to our beginners classes. Our beginners classes are drop in so that you have flexibility, that means you can buy our new user deal if you are a first time user and just come along when you can make it to any of the classes below. Please buy a pass and book in. Our First Time User Deal £30 for 30 days means you can take as many classes as you want in that 30 days. Here are the options you can attend:
- Evening – Beginners Yoga on Monday from 6 – 7.15 pm. If you cannot attend this class then we recommend you try the Thursday hatha class at 7.45 pm or the Friday relax and unwind at 6.15 pm.
Daytime – Hatha Yoga Beginners on Wednesday at 11.30 am. This is the best class to attend for beginners during the day. If you can’t make that one then attend the Monday Flow class at 9.30 am or the gentle hatha class at 11.45 am on a Tuesday.
- The third option is for those looking for a more dynamic and faster paced form of practice. We have a 6 week Introduction to Astanga course on Wednesday evenings from 6 – 7.15 pm. This is a block booking for 6 weeks as to learn this type of practice needs a course rather than drop in. You can click the workshops link below to book the next block, or look under workshops. If dynamic is not for you then choose the other options above.
All classes in the studio are split into these levels to help you to see which are suitable for you.
Absolute Beginners – attend the options suggested above for at least 6 weeks and then venture into the level 1 or all levels classes. If you want to you can keep attending the beginners classes for longer.
Level 1 – beginners or those looking for a slow/moderately paced class
Level 2 – been attending classes regularly for at least 12 months and ready for a challenge
Receiving updates from us – If you wish to receive email notifications, updates and news from us, please enable permission in the settings of your Mindbody Profile. You need to tick the news and promos box. We recommend that you do in order to receive news of timetable changes. You will not be bombarded with emails, you will receive important notifications now and again.
Progressing from beginners
When you feel ready to move on from the general beginners class or from the astanga beginners block here are the classes we recommend you move on to. These cases are all level 1 or all levels this means they are suitable for beginners. If you go to our class timetable and click on the class you will be able to read a description about the classes:
Monday at 9.30 am – Seasonal Flow with Lynette
- Tuesdays at 9.30 am – Mysore with Jo – (only if you have done astanga beginners course)
- Tuesdays at 11.45 am – Gentle Hatha
- Wednesdays at 9.30 am – Mysore with Jo – (only if you have done astanga beginners course)
- Wednesdays at 11.30 am – Hatha Yoga with Rowena
- Fridays at 11.30 am – Melissa’s Hatha class
- Saturday mornings at 7.45 am – Eric’s Power Yoga
- Sunday at 10.30 am – Melissa’s Yin class
In the evenings:
Tuesdays at 6.15 pm – Dynamic hatha class with Liz – modified for all levels but expect to work hard
Wednesday at 7:45 pm -Moving on from beginners – with Lynette
- Thursdays at 6.00 pm – Astanga led class with Sally – only if you have done the astanga beginners course
Thursdays at 7.45 pm – Hayley’s Hatha class
- Friday at 6.15 pm – Hayley’s Relax and Unwind Hatha class
All the teachers at the studio are here to support your yoga journey. We work as a team of teachers progressing you at the correct level, so don’t feel if you are attending one class that you can’t attend others too or change between them. Mix and match. Once you have been practising regularly for a minimum of 12 months you could try one of the level 2 classes.
Mysore astanga practice is also suitable for beginners and is one of the best ways to practice yoga. This is a set series of postures which you practice in your own time. Jo will teach you the practice at your own pace with variations for your own body. We highly recommend this style of practice if you want to take up yoga seriously. Please take the 6 week Introduction to Astanga course first.
We recommend you purchase a yoga starter kit. You can do this by going to www.yogamatters.co.uk If you use the discount code ym welcome 10 you will receive a 10% discount.